New Delhi: The Delhi and the Uttar Pradesh governments moved to seal coronavirus hotspots, on Wednesday, to stop the spread of the infection. There would be curfew-like restrictions in these hotspots and people will not be allowed to go out of or come in these areas even to buy essentials, like groceries. The administration said it will deliver essentials, like milk, groceries, vegetables and medicines at doorsteps in these areas.
In the countrywide lockdown, people are allowed to go out to buy essentials and receive them from vendors.
In Uttar Pradesh, the orders came as the state’s coronavirus count reached 361 with 29 fresh cases being reported on Wednesday. With the death of one more person, the state’s death toll went up to four from COVID-19.
The news of the sealing of the hotspots triggered panic-buying of essential goods as earlier reports wrongly stated that entire districts would be sealed off.
The districts and number of clusters identified in Uttar Pradesh are:
Number of clusters
Gautam Buddh Nagar
The Delhi government has sealed 20 hotspots in the city after the chief minister, Arvind Kejriwal, held an emergency meeting with his top ministers and administration officials, on Wednesday. The COVID-19 cases in the national capital surged to 576 infections and nine deaths. Apart from this, wearing masks have been made compulsory for all Delhi residents stepping out of their homes.
Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia, who attended the meeting, said strict action would be taken against those not wearing masks while stepping out of their houses.
The coronavirus hotspots identified and sealed in Delhi are:
- Entire effected street near Gandhi Park, Malviya Nagar, New Delhi
- Entire effected street of Gali No. 6, L 1 Sangam Vihar, New Delhi
- Shahajahanabad Society, Plot No. 1, Sector 11, Dwarka.
- Dinpur Village
- Markaz Masjid and Nizamuddin Basti
- G and D blocks, Nizamuddin West
- B Block, Jhangirpuri.
- House No. 141 to House No. 180, Gali No. 14, Kalyanpuri Delhi
- Mansara Appartments, Vasundhara Enclave, Delhi
- 3 Galis of Khichirpur including Gali containing House No. 5/387 Khichirpur Delhi
- Gali No. 9, Pandav Nagar, Delhi 110092.
- Vardhaman Apartments, Mayur Vihar, Phase I, Extension, Delhi
- Mayurdhwaj Appartments, I P Extension, Patparganj, Delhi
- Gali No. 4, from House No. J-3/115 (Nagar Dairy) to House No. J-3/108 (towards Anarwali Masjid Chowk), Kishan Kunj Extension, Delhi
- Gali No. 4, from House No. J-3/101 to House No. J-3/107 Krishan Kunj Extension Delhi.
- Gali No. 5, A Block (From House No. A-176 to A-189), WestVinod NagarDelhi 110092.
- J, K, L and H pockets Dilshad Garden
- G, H, J, blocks old Seemapuri
- F-70 to 90 block, Dilshad Colony
- Pratap Khand, Jhilmil Colony
India coronavirus cases surge
Meanwhile, the number of coronavirus cases in India have surged in the last 24 hours.
The latest India coronavirus stats:
- Confirmed: 5,916
- Deaths: 178
- Recovered: 506
- Active: 5,232
The latest worldwide coronavirus stats:
- Confirmed: 1,511,104
- Deaths: 88,338
- Recovered: 328,661
Top 5 countries with coronavirus infections:
- United States: 430,376
- Spain: 148,220
- Italy: 139,442
- France: 113,959
- Germany: 113,296
Top 5 countries with coronavirus deaths are as follows:
- Italy: 17,669
- Spain: 14,792
- United States: 14,695
- France: 10,887
- United Kingdom: 7,111
[Source: Johns Hopkins University & Medicine]
[This story was last updated at 6.21am on April 9, 2020]